This Chocolate Skillet Brownie is dense, fudgy, gooey, chocolatey. All the things a brownie should be! It’s got the added bonus of being gluten free, refined sugar free, paleo and vegan!
Chocolate Skillet Brownie – An Old Favourite
When I lived in Trinidad my family and I would often go out to dine at Tony Roma’s restaurant. I think we chose that restaurant for one reason; their skillet brownie dessert. Oh my word that skillet brownie was just to die for.
Recently while dining out at our favourite American restaurant I spied a waiter taking what looked like a skillet brownie to another table. When I checked the dessert menu sure enough there it was. Just seeing that skillet brownie on the menu brought back so many wonderful memories I decided I must create a gluten free version of my old favourite.
Luckily I already owned this cute mini cast iron skillet. It’s perfect for this ‘single’ serving dessert.
Chocolate Skillet Brownie Remake
From what I recalled of the Toni Roma’s skillet brownie it was dense, fudgy, gooey, chocolatey. All the things a brownie should be. I had seen many nut butter brownie recipes floating around on Pinterest so I decided to give this one a go as I felt that a flourless brownie was in order so, I adapted it making it egg free/vegan. I am not vegan but I have a food sensitivity to eggs.
The banana lends sweetness without a banana flavour. I must say I am very pleased with my gluten free skillet brownie.
I garnished the chocolate skillet brownie with a couple scoops of coconut ice cream, chocolate syrup and shredded coconut.
It was really hard to photograph this brownie. I had to fight everything in me not to take a huge bite. After the photoshoot I cut myself a slice, sat down with a tall glass of Chicory Root Coffee and counted my blessings that this was a perk of my job.
More Healthy Chocolate Desserts You May Also Enjoy
Chocolate Skillet Brownie (gluten free, paleo, vegan)
- 1 cup runny nut butter I’ve used homemade almond butter and peanut butter with success
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey if not vegan
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 2 tablespoons espresso or instant coffee optional but really enhances the chocolate flavor
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF / 150ºC
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk with a hand mixer.
- The batter will be extremely thick!
- Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a 6.5 inch cast iron skillet on stovetop.
- Place batter into the cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- The brownies will appear wet and gooey but the cast iron skillet retains heat for a very long time and brownies will continue to cook.
- Garnish with ice cream, chocolate syrup,